I love Holiday food, but sometimes you need a Lighter Holiday Food option. Below are two classic Thanksgiving and Christmas dishes but made to be lighter than normal.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1/4c maple syrup
- 1/4 c almond milk
- 2 tbs of butter
- 1/4 c of applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 c chopped pecans
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 1/4 c pure cane sweetener (zero calories)
1. Boil sweet potatoes in water until soft and Drain water. Preheat oven to 375’
2. Place cooked potatoes in blender or use masher to mash/blend.
3. Add all ingredients in mashed sweet potatoes and mix. Pour into baking dish.
4. Mix crust ingredients in small bowl, and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes. Place in oven and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Green Bean Casserole
- Fresh Green Beans
- 2 tbsp kerrigold butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp diced garlic
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 1/3 c to 1/2 c chicken stock (I started with 1/3 c and added a little more over time)
- 1/2 c diced mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/3 c sliced onions
- 1 tsp kerrigold butter
- 1/3 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 c panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375. Begin to snap green beans. Cut ends off and break in half if large. Place all in boiling water. (Have a bowl ready with ice and water)
- Boil green beans for 5-10 minutes, then scoop into ice bath. Leave 5 minutes then drain and set aside to dry out
- Begin sauce mixture. You will melt butter in skillet then add garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Cook until soft.
- Once veggies are soft, you will notice there is still butter keeping veggies “wet” , add flour and cover the veggies. (this will thicken your sauce)
- Once veggies are covered, add milk, and stock. Mix together. Add a little stock at a time, you want enough sauce that will cover your green beans.
- Pour green beans into skillet, and mix together with sauce, then pour into a baking dish.
- Now on to the topping, I covered my SLICED onions with butter and place them in my air fryer for around 5 minutes (you can sauté them in same skillet or broil them quickly) just to add a little crunch. In a small bowl I mixed together crumbs, and cheese, sprinkled it on top of the green bean mixture, then added onions.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden.