Mothers are so special to us. They literally sacrifice their bodies to bring us into the world. They nurture us, scold us when we do wrong, listen to us when we need a shoulder to cry on, and they mold us into our future selves.
Last year on Mother’s Day it was kind of a big blur for me. It was my first Mother’s Day without my Mom. My husband and my daughter showered me with gifts and wanted to spend the day with me, but all I could think about was that my mom was missing it all. This year I want to do something unique to keep her spirit with me during Mother’s Day.
I know there are many people out there who might be grieving and feel the same way I do. We all may have a special lady we are missing, maybe a mom, a grandma, an aunt, a daughter, or a friend. So, whether you feel like going all out or keeping it low key here are some ideas on how to honor our Mothers who are no longer with us. It doesn’t matter if it has only been a month or many years we always want to keep them in our hearts.
A few ideas for you:
- Make a photobook/scrapbook – keep those special memories to look at whenever you want to look at them.
- Tell a story– tell a story about her to your friends/loved ones maybe one they have never heard.
- Listen to music– listen to some of her favorite songs
- Do some of her favorite things– pick some flowers, go to the beach, read a book something that makes you feel connected to your loved one.
- Write down some memories– start a journal and write down how you feel
- Eat some of her favorite food– did she have sweet tooth? Or did she love to make homemade meals?
- Spend time with loved ones– sometimes just spending time with our loved ones helps.
- Take time for you– maybe you just want time to yourself to remember your loved one and that’s ok too.
If you are missing someone this year know that you are not alone and no matter how you choose to honor your loved one it’s up to you. How do you remember your special loved one on Mother’s Day?