Memory Foam, Hybrid, Pillow-Top, Warranty, bad back….
Before I was a Boss Lady Bed Business owner – I had no clue about so many things relating to what I (and my family) slept on.
So I thought I’d tell you ALL about what I have learned in the past 4 years in the bed business.
First and foremost – there is no one bed that works for everyone. Each of you has a different back than me and therefore – your comfort level is uniquely YOURS. The best way to find a bed that works for you (and your partner) is to simply lay on it. Take your time finding the right bed.
No one (salesperson, family, friends, online articles) can tell you what works for you – only your body can.
Typically, certain sleep positions can dictate what type of mattress comfort level you prefer:
- Side Sleeper – medium/soft
- Back Sleeper – firm/medium
- Stomach Sleeper – soft/medium
The price of a new mattress with a warranty varies tremendously. This is where I can give you some insight.
- The longer the warranty – the higher the price. This is the manufacturer telling you how much they stand by their product. So, a 20-year warranty mattress will be higher than a 5-year warranty mattress.
- Name recognition – certain brands have been in business longer than others and they demand higher prices for their name only.
- Sleep guarantees – a mattress with a sleep guarantee is typically higher in price because the manufacturer is expecting a certain percentage of people to return the mattress and they are including that into the price of the mattress.
Warranties are a big deal with mattress manufacturers but it can be very upsetting to customers if they do not know how the industry works.
- Stains – I can tell you right now – any kind of stain – especially liquid (whether it’s water or urine) is an AUTOMATIC disqualification of a mattress warranty. The liquids cause the breakdown of materials in the bed and are the main cause of issues. This is why it is highly suggested to purchase a waterproof mattress protector for every bed. Think of it as an insurance policy for your mattress.
- Law tag – it is actually illegal to remove the law tag from a mattress before it is purchased. However – you can do whatever you want after you buy the bed. But – I highly recommend you do not remove the law tag because it will 100% VOID your warranty. The manufacturer uses the law tag as proof that the mattress was in fact made by them, its size, where it was made, etc. If you purchase a mattress – please make sure this tag is there (typically in the back of the bed by where you lay your head or sometimes on the very bottom).
- Foundation – your warranty can be voided if you do not have the mattress on a proper foundation. Some bed frames come with “slats” that have large gaps – this could cause your mattress to sag and break down. We suggest always having a solid piece of material between your mattress and your bed frame (typically a box spring or even a piece of plywood cut to your mattress dimensions).
- Receipt – some companies require that you provide the original receipt in order to get your warranty. At our store – we have a digital system and we help our customers find the receipt. But I have heard horror stories of other companies denying claims because the customer did not provide the original receipt from 5 years ago. Sad, but true.
- Comfort – the comfort of your bed is NOT a warranty claim. This is why we suggest taking your time in purchasing a mattress. Sleep guarantees can help with this – but can be an additional hassle with returning the bed and the process is not immediate – it could take 1-2 weeks (or more) to finalize because of all the back and forth communication, etc.
One of the biggest complaints heard from customers is back pain. It is very common for your mattress to be the cause of this pain. There are many factors to this, including (but not limited to):
- Recent injuries
- Older mattress breaking down (warranty expired)
- New mattress breaking down (still under warranty)
- Customers are now older and their sleeping style/lifestyle, requires a different mattress.
This is just a small snippet of the things I have learned. But I know I would’ve loved to have known this information as a young adult when I bought my first big girl bed (LOL).
If you are in the Coastal Bend and need help finding an affordable and reliable mattress. My husband and I own That Mattress Place of CC (also known as BoxDrop Mattress). We are a local family and veteran-owned business. I promise to tell you the truth about the mattress you are buying.