It is no surprise that July 4th is going to look different this year.
While there are still some Firework display events being planned in the Coastal Bend; people are being encouraged to stay home and celebrate with family.
Because of this, we wanted to refresh you on some rules and guidelines about firework safety and what is and is not allowed here in the Coastal Bend in regards to personal firework displays. We have also included a list of firework stands all over the Coastal Bend for you to purchase fireworks. Visit their websites to see what your purchase options are.
Safety is our number one priority especially when fire, explosions, and children are involved. According to the Consumer Product Saftey Commission report in 2017, there were 8 deaths and an estimated 12,000 injuries involving the use of fireworks. Please remember the use of fireworks inside the city limits is illegal. If caught you could face a fine per open package.
Some firework safety tips to keep you safe:
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire
- Never use illegal fireworks
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
Where to Find Fireworks to buy in the Coastal Bend:
Locations: 3726 FM 1069 North Ingleside; 4595 S. Hwy 35 Rockport; 1000 W. Sinton Sinton; 6402 Old Brownsville Corpus Christi;6633 Old Brownsville Corpus Christi;2921 McKenzie Robstown;2358 Hwy. 286 Corpus Christi;1355 FM 43 Corpus Christi;3372 Hwy 77 North Odem;601 FM 2444 B Corpus Christi;5326 Co Rd 75 Robstown;831 W. AVE J Robstown;8464 Hwy 359 S. Mathis;2232 Hwy 59W Beeville;3758 E. Hwy 44 Alice;208 CR 114 Alice.
Locations: 4525 HWY 35 S Rockport;6701 Old Brownsville Rd Corpus Christi;1370 FM 43 Corpus Christi;1343 FM 43 Corpus Christi;2110 HWY 286 Corpus Christi;709 FM 2444 (staples Rd) Corpus Christi;4180 IH 37 Odem;2917 IH-69E S Robstown;15210 Northwest Blvd Robstown;2780 E Carlos Truan Blvd Kingsville;2227 US-59 Beeville;E North Blvd Riviera
Location:1221 FM 43 Corpus Christi
Locations: 432 Ave C Taft;1406 US 59 Goliad
Have a happy and safe 4th of July, friends!