We have had a rough week in our house, between the heat, short rain spells, and subsequent humidity we have been hanging out inside more than usual. This means the kids are getting a bit of cabin fever, and mom is slowly losing her mind. Yesterday one of us ended up in tears, I’m not saying it was me, but I’m not saying it WASN’T me either!
So today we took a trip to Wal-Mart to gather supplies to make some shirts for the Fourth of July! We haven’t decided yet what we are going to do but I imagine we will find our way to one of the awesome events in the Coastal Bend. And now the kids have some cute homemade Firework shirts they can wear and show their patriotism!
What you need:
- Fabric Paint (we got Red, White, Blue and Silver Glitter)
- Empty Toilet Paper or Paper Towel Rolls
- Cardboard or paper towels to put inside your shirts
How To Create Your Shirt :
- Cut thin strips into the bottom of your empty toilet paper rolls all the way around. Once cut, fan them out to make your starburst or “firework” shape.
- Put the cardboard or paper towels inside your shirt to prevent from paint leaking through.
- Put some paint onto a paper plate or anything you normally use for painting.
- Let your kids dip the cut rolls into paint and dab it onto the shirts.
- Let them go crazy!
It might have been better to let each color dry in between but I let them go crazy with all of the colors at the same time, so ours got a little extra mixed. But I knew they would not have the patience to let each color dry.
Now we are going to let them lay flat until they dry.
I really love the versatility of this craft, you could do the same technique with different colors and make them work for almost any holiday. These firework shirts are similar to the fall trees craft my daughter and I made with q-tips a few years ago! You can check that out here!