Over the last few years, I have developed some first day of Summer traditions for my two kids. They are not big or extravagant, just something fun to celebrate their hard work and kick off the long days of summer with a little extra fun.
I wanted to share a few of our traditions along with a few others I may add into the mix this year, to give you some fun ways to kick off your summer! We love to see our Coastal Bend families enjoying time together, so be sure to tag us @coastalbendmomco on Social Media!
- Water Balloons: We always get a few packs of water balloons for the first official day of summer to have a water balloon fight.
- Popsicles outside: Once all the water balloons have been thrown we have a sweet treat together in the backyard. This year I bought molds so that we can hopefully add the tradition of making our own popsicles to have together!
- Snowcones: this has been a tradition for me since I was a teenager, to go get snow cones from local shops all through summer. If for some reason our popsicles are not enough we will load up and go find a local shop to get a snow cone to enjoy together at the park.
- Trip to the Park: On the first day of summer we always like to take a trip to a new to us park in the Coastal Bend. Here is our Guide to Parks in the Coastal Bend to help you find a new park to visit this summer! (We obviously try to do this early in the day or late in the afternoon to avoid the summer heat)
- Paint: Nothing says a day off to my daughter like getting to paint something. It can be paper or rocks, it doesn’t really matter. If you bust out the paints she is a happy camper. Since paints are often saved for the weekends she knows it signals days at home!
- Kids Pick Dinner: Our kids often get to give input about what they would like to have for dinner, but when it comes to birthdays and the first day of summer we often let them have complete say in what is for dinner that night. We will often give them options or let them know if it needs to be a dinner at home or if eating out is also included. This way they get to feel like they are picking dinner!
- Fun Hair Color: For a long time I always wanted fun-colored hair. While I worked it was never an option and now I just have a hard time committing to something, but on the first few days of summer, we let our kids pick fun colors to put in their hair. Last year we did make a mistake with my daughter’s hair and we used SPLAT hair color and over a year later and she STILL has pink in her hair. So I suggest NEVER using Splat, but the Color-Rista one-day color will actually last a little while, but still washes out pretty quickly! That is what we plan on using this year!
- After School Starbucks– This is not my tradition but one submitted by the Coastal Bend Mom Team. But I think I may adopt it this year now that my kids are a little older. She stops by Starbucks for a treat after the first and last day of school. And now that her kids are older and driving themselves she gives them a gift card to use! I love this! What a sweet way to close the year out!